OMAHA (KPTM) – Get renters insurance. This advice came from two parents Tuesday who are relieved the mother and their 2-month-old daughter were released from the hospital after a fire trapped them inside an apartment last Friday.
Tuesday when 25-year-old Klabunde was released from the hospital, she and her boyfriend, 34-year-old Kenya Andrews, headed to his uncle's house to pick up L'Laiah—who was released Saturday.
Klabunde was visiting Andrews on Friday, at the Plaza 93 West Apartments on 3310 N. 93rd St., where he lived.
"I wasn't feeling good that day. I was feeling lightheaded. I was trying to cook me something to eat," Klabunde sobbed.
Klabunde said she took her medication for high blood pressure and other illnesses without eating anything all day. The combination caused her to pass out in the kitchen while she was cooking.
L'Laiah was asleep in the bedroom. Andrews was not home. The smell of smoke and oil alerted her.
"I smelled the grease just bring and it has just an awful smell."
She ran into the bedroom to protect L'Laiah and shut the door.
"I couldn't get out, I couldn't call for help—the phone wasn't working," Klabunde said. "All I could do was scream out the window ‘somebody please help'."
Omaha Fire Department Battalion Chief Tim McCaw said the fire caused an estimated $100,000 worth of damage to the structure.
The entertainment set, everything in the kitchen, a bed and the baby's bassinet, the couple said are destroyed. They said they were planning to get renters insurance once Klabunde moved in, in a few weeks.
"Get renters insurance please," Andrews looked to the camera to tell people.
Almost everything in his apartment is unsalvageable—a downer, but admittedly not the worst outcome.
"We still got each other and we know everybody is okay now," he said. "It's something to grow on."
When they leave Andrew's uncle's home, their next stop is back to the apartment. Klabunde is going to sign a lease on a unit that she, Andrews and L'Laiah will live in together—with renters insurance.
Fire investigators are still investigating this fire.
Can't find something?