Holiday Fire Sparks Omaha Firefighters to Give Safety Tips - FOX 42: Omaha News, Sports and Weather; kptm.com |

Holiday Fire Sparks Omaha Firefighters to Give Safety Tips

Posted: Updated:

OMAHA (KPTM)- An Omaha family was away for the Thanksgiving holiday. While they were gone their home on 7th street went up in flames on Sunday morning. It's a scene that is all too familiar to firefighters across the country around the holidays.

"Contact your alarm company and let them know that you will be going out of town. Give them a good contact number of someone locally so they can respond to your home," said Omaha Firefighter Brandon Wilson.

He warns people to unplug small appliances like irons and curling irons before leaving for a Christmas trip out of town.

"Also leave a key with a neighbor so first responders can get into the home easier," added Wilson.

He said candle warmers and space heaters should also be unplugged before you leave.

"Don't overload multiple outlet blocks, use a surge protector instead. If you don't it could cause a fire especially now when multiple outlets are used for Christmas lights," said Wilson.

Natural Christmas trees also can be dangerous. If pine needles get too dry, they become a fire hazard. Wilson advises to keep plenty of water in the tree's water pan.

 

 

Powered by WorldNow

General Information:
contact42@kptm.com
402-558-4200

News:
news42@kptm.com
Phone: 402-554-4282
Fax: 402-554-4279

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 WorldNow and KPTM. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.